Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pulcinella


What's better than authentic Italian food? Authentic Italian food in my neighborhood!

I was so very excited to have discovered Pulcinella in the Kempsville neighborhood of Virginia Beach. I've been a resident for several years and I'm not sure why I didn't stumble upon this place sooner.

Pulcinella is conveniently located in the Kemps River shopping center in between Tropical Smoothie and Outback. It's a cozy, little place and very comfortable. I arrived shortly before 6:00 pm and almost every one of the twelve tables was occupied. Since I was dining alone I had to wait until one of the smaller tables became available. They provide outdoor seating but I was willing to wait for an indoor table. The wait was no more than fifteen minutes.

Once seated I ordered a glass of pinot noir and perused the menu. The menu contains a huge variety of pasta, chicken and veal dishes as well as many appetizers and salads. For such a small place I was surprised at how many different items were on the menu.

I decided on the veal sorrento.




The veal was thinly sliced and extremely tender and prepared with roasted red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes and mushrooms. For me, the portion size was perfect and the flavor was light and delicate. The side dish that I ordered was spinach which was sauteed in olive oil and garlic and dusted with grated parmesan cheese. It complimented the veal perfectly.


Of course, I had to have dessert so I ordered the chocolate mousse.




It was smooth and creamy and the perfect ending to a perfect meal.

The service was outstanding. When I received the check there was a note to leave the tip in cash. I'd never seen that before and it could have been awkward for someone who doesn't normally carry cash. Like myself. However, that day I did have cash with me so it all worked out.

Finding Pulcinella was the highlight of my week. The food was fantastic. I overheard the man at the next table say that he lived in Naples for thirteen years ... in my mind he knows good Italian food and the fact that he was sitting in Pulcinella's speaks volumes.

If you're in the neighborhood you should definitely check it out. Pulcinella is open seven days a week and you can view their entire menu on their website.



1255 Fordham Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23464
(757) 222-0081

www.pulcinellavb.strategicmarketsites.com/



Pulcinella on Urbanspoon


No comments: