Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Classic Diner



You ever just want really good food at some little joint? Classic Diner in the Providence Square shopping center is that joint. Some of the best food I have ever had has been served to me by real people at real places. No pretense, no flair ... just real good food.

One Saturday morning I took my daughter to the salon for her back-to-school 'do. While we waited, another customer walked in the door with a take out box which contained mozzarella sticks and she acted like she loved them. At the time, I had no idea where she had gotten them. While waiting for my daughter's appointment to finish I spoke to Bryan on the phone and I told him where I was and he mentioned that I should try Classic Diner which was just a few doors down from where we were. He goes there for breakfast quite often and could not say enough about the biscuits and gravy. I figured, what the heck? After three hours in a beauty salon I was starving!

You walk into Classic and it is what you expect from a diner. It's small, it's comfy, the furniture is worn and the carpet is stained. Despite all that, I was taken aback by the greeting I received from Rich, the owner when we walked in. He shook my hand, introduced himself and welcomed us like we were coming to his house. He told us we could sit anywhere and we chose a booth that was up front. He sat and chatted with us for a while about back to school and how he caters for special events that my daughter's school participates in. Classic serves breakfast and lunch and they have all the diner staples on the menu: steak and eggs, pigs in a blanket, reubens with your choice of pastrami, turkey or corned beef and all kinds of burgers.

My daughter ordered the chicken fingers and fries and I had a grilled chicken ceasar salad. Simple food that was simply delicious. Rich twisted my arm and got me to get a piece of chocolate cake for my daughter for dessert. She loved it, so thanks Rich.

Rich has owned Classic for almost two years now but the actual restaurant has been there for closer to thirty years. I'm glad I walked into his joint on that Saturday and I'm looking forward to many more visits.




Classic Diner on Urbanspoon

No comments: