Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Mangos Mexican Restaurant and Sports Grill



Every few weeks a few of my co-workers and I like to venture away from our desks and eat out at lunch time. Recently, we decided to check out Mangos Mexican Restaurant and Sports Grill on Newtown Road in Virginia Beach.

Upon entering Mangos I was surprised at the size of the restaurant. I noticed dozens of large flat screen televisions, a pool area, two bars and a special VIP section which includes overstuffed furniture and tables. I also noticed many chandeliers which seemed out of place in a Mexican/Sports bar, but to each his own.

We were the first lunch time customers and had the option to either sit at the bar or at a table and we chose a table. Shortly after we placed our orders two more parties of three entered the restaurant. Mangos menu is extensive and includes standard Mexican favorites as well as many items “from the grill” such as pork chops and tilapia. Mangos offers a $5 lunch menu which includes enchiladas, tacos and chimichangas each served with your choice of rice or beans.

My co-workers both ordered the chicken enchiladas, one with rice



And one with beans



I ordered the chicken fajitas



They were good but I was surprised when I received only two tortillas. As you can see, the amount of filling was enough to fill at least four. I asked for more tortillas and was brought an additional three (not sure why they didn’t give me three to begin with) and then was charged extra for them. I was not thrilled with this at all. So, if you order the fajitas be prepared to pay extra for the tortillas.

Other than that it was a positive experience. Mangos was a short trip from the job and they provide plenty of parking. Overall it was a good spot for lunch. A quick perusal of their website shows that they provide weekly specials which include Wednesday night salsa with half off appetizers and free salsa lessons; and on Tuesdays kids eat for a $1.00 when ordering from the kid’s menu.

Mangos appears to be a pretty cool place. I think the size of it alone would make it a great place for private functions.

2 comments:

LadyLee said...

Interesting that you can get tilapia and pork chops at a mexican restarant... But that does count towards variety... Sounds like a nice spot.

Anonymous said...

Paying for extra tortillas? Gimme a break!