Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

Garrison's Bar and Grill

 

 
This was not my first visit to Garrison’s Bar and Grill.  The last time I was there however, it was for brunch – and they don’t serve brunch anymore – so it’s been quite a few years.  I do remember that I enjoyed my last experience very much. 
Garrison’s is a quaint little restaurant tucked away in the Renaissance Place shopping center in the Great Neck area of Virginia Beach.  The restaurant is tastefully decorated and offers outdoor seating as well as indoor.
I made reservations and arrived at the determined time and was seated immediately.  Our drink orders were also taken immediately.  Garrison’s boasts an extensive wine list as well as several specialty cocktails.  I began the evening with an apple martini.
 
 
 
 
 
 
It was so good that I had to order a second one!
For appetizers we ordered the warm crab dip and the sautéed shrimp.
 
 
 
The dip was served with warm pita bread and had a smooth and creamy texture.  It was a bit salty but overall palatable.  The shrimp were sautéed with chiles and were just the right amount of spicy and were prepared perfectly.
We chose to get the dinner specials for the evening:  salmon in a creamy caper sauce with spinach over pasta and grilled mahi topped with a mango salsa and seasoned rice and veggies.


 


First of all, the portion sizes were perfect.  I often shy away from pasta/seafood dishes because the plates are usually overflowing with pasta and I have to search for the seafood.  This dish was perfectly balanced and the flavor was delicate and delicious. 
The mahi was light and seasoned very well and the mango salsa was a lovely compliment to the fish. 

The only drawback was the amount of time we waited for the entrees to be served.  The appetizers were finished and we were on our second round of drinks before the meals were served.   After the food arrived our server asked if it was worth the wait, and we had to agree that it was.  Everything was outstanding.
The atmosphere was quiet and in my opinion perfect for a romantic date night.  Our reservations were for 6:30 pm and the restaurant had a few patrons but not too crowded.  However, when we were preparing to leave it seemed to be starting to fill up and I'm assuming it gets quite busy on a Friday night.

The prices are very reasonable and the service is friendly and inviting.  I would definitely return to Garrison’s for an evening out and would recommend it my friends/family.


Garrison's Bar and Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments: