Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Finn McCool's Fish House and Tavern


This will have been my second visit to Finn McCool's on Princess Anne Road in Virginia Beach. The first time I went was right around the time that it opened. I was very impressed with the decor, the service, staff and food. It was definitely a homerun. I would probably classify my second visit as a triple.

The restaurant itself is beautiful. The furnishings and the decoration make for a very comfortable dining exerience. We were sitting close to the bar so it was a little loud but that is to be expected and it wasn't a big deal. It was early Saturday evening and there was no wait to be seated which I really appreciated. Our drink orders were taken immediately.

After the drinks came out we ordered an appetizer:


The crab dip came out and I thought it tasted okay. It is a blend of crab, artichokes, spinach and creamy cheese and served with the house flat bread. It wasn't bad but probably could have used a little more seasoning and a little more actual crab.


As an entree we ordered the crab-topped rockfish and the jumbo shrimp:



The rockfish was fine but I expected to see chunks of crabmeat on top of the fish. Instead I see the same crab dip that I had earlier spread on top of it. That was a little disappointing. I should be clear and state that the menu described it exactly as it came out. I just didn't read it carefully. My fault. I found the potatoes that accompanied the meal to be perfectly seasoned and very tasty.

The jumbo shrimp were okay as well. The rice on the side was bland and slightly overcooked.


Finn McCool's is a nice place in a great location. The servers were friendly, attentive and accomodating. I thought the prices were reasonable and I enjoyed my time there. It wasn't a spectacular dining experience but I would probably go back for drinks and appetizers.



3388 Princess Anne Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23456
(757) 689-0829
www.finnmccoolsvb.com



Finn McCool's Fish House and Tavern on Urbanspoon

No comments: